“So we fasted and petitioned God about this, and He answered our prayers” Ezra 8:23 (NIV)
On January 7, 2019 our Living Word Church Ministries family will start our twenty-one (21) day Daniel Fast. This time of fasting and prayer will begin on Monday, January 7, 2019 and will end Sunday, January 27, 2019. Our focus for this fast is to walk in our covenant with God by allowing Him to put His Word into our hearts and minds. Hebrews 8:10 says “For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts: and I will be to them a God, and they shall be to me a people: ”We are partakers of this great covenant through the finished work of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Therefore we have an awesome God who hears and answers our prayers.
Why fast? The purpose of a fast is to turn your focus to God. By not indulging in food or areas you desire you can turn your focus to God by reading God’s Word and praying. This echoes the words of Job 23:12: “I have treasured the words of His mouth more than my necessary food.” This strengthens your faith.
What should I read during the fast? During your fast you should increase your time in prayer and in the Word.You should search the bible for scriptures that deal with your specific area(s) of need. You may use sources such as a Bible Concordance or www.biblegateway.com to identify applicable scriptures.
Will we have scriptures for daily devotional? Corporately we will use the Our Daily Bread resource. You may obtain a free copy at the church or you may find the resource online at www.odb.org. You may also obtain an app for Our Daily Bread via your smart phone market or app store.
Spiritual Suggestions for the Fast:
- Determine in advance the purpose of your fast and write them down. Examples – renewal in marriage, salvation for family members, spiritual revival in church, personal life, etc.
- Identify, confess, and repent of all revealed sin before and during the fast. Unconfused sin and disobedience will hinder your prayer and fasting.
- Be sensitive to the Holy Spirit’s prompting in all areas of your life, since God will often require you to seek reconciliation or restoration in broken relationships.
- Keep a journal during your fast. This should contain specific prayer requests, written prayers, devotional thoughts, and spiritual insights you are gaining during your fast.
What to Eat and Avoid During the Daniel Fast?
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you are under a physician’s care, follow his/her instructions. And as with all nutritional and exercise programs, it is recommended that you consult your physician prior to beginning.
What May I Eat During the Fast?
- Fruits & vegetables – fresh, frozen or canned
- All nuts, grains, beans, legumes, that have not been bleached stripped or processed.
- Herbs and spices
- Baking Soda – all natural
- Agave Nectar – natural sweetener
- Bragg Liquid Aminos – natural alternative to soy sauce
- Water, naturally decaffeinated tea, fruit and vegetable juices (with no added sugar)
- Cold pressed-oils such as olive oil, unprocessed coconut, peanut, sesame, walnut, almond and mustard seed oil
- Soy Milk (read nutritional labels)
- Tofu (whole soy beans and water)
- Pasta (whole-grain flour and water) NO EGGS or WHITE FLOUR
- Maple Syrup
- Raw Cane Sugar
Foods to Avoid:
- ALL meat products*(should you chose to eat meats choose only fish or poultry)
- Dairy (milk, cheese, cream cheese, etc.)
- Egg by-products
- White flour products & bread products
- White rice
- White cane sugar & all products containing it
- Artificial Sweeteners (Splenda, NutraSweet)
- Carbonated beverages
- Foods with additives, chemicals or dyes
- Hydrogenated oils (margarine, shortening, etc.)
- Deep Fried foods
- Corn Syrup
- Black Tea
- Baking Powder
For more suggestions and meal planning ideas you may visit www.daniel-fast.com
*Deviation from the Daniel Fast. No need for guilt simply make a commitment you can keep.